Sunday, June 17, 2007

Preparing for Flight


The cranes are preparing to begin the journey from San Diego to Canada.



I hung 924 of them on a 4-foot 5/8" dowel. I spray painted the dowel yellow.



The other 78 cranes, + the 113 construction paper swans I hung on a 16-inch long 1" dowel.












I made little strings out of hemp and beads that have the names of the blogs of those who participated, and I hung those along with the cranes.


The 5-foot dowel contains 8 strands of baby cranes and 21 strands of standard size cranes.


I tried to find a way to fit all the cranes on the one dowel, but it was beyond my abilities, the 4-foot dowel sags a little as it is.


My husband and I are constructing a box to ship it in, we couldn't find anything long enough and we're trying to make it under the 70" length + width + height max size for Fed Ex.


The weight of both dowels hung with cranes is about 10 1/2 lbs, this is without the box or packing materials, but it feels heavier.


Hopefully they fly tomorrow.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you so much Kathy and family for all the time and hard work you put into this project.
The cranes look beautiful, all strung together, The blog names in beads is an extra special touch. My heart is swelling with emotion at the thought of how this will touch Ellen and Curtis.
And thanks also for thinking up this project in the first place.
Susan

Karen said...

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes and chills all over; these are amazing and you've done such a wonderful job!! Ellen and Curtis will be most pleased and they will warm their hearts.

Thank you for all you and each person in the group did!

Karen